Friday, February 26, 2010

Watching and Waiting for Spring


I was walking the other day and noticed an Oriole nest dangling from a tree limb.  I remembered what I waited for every year...the return of the Baltimore Oriole birds.  Their song is lovely-- high and clear. 
Their nests are sack-like, built in dangling vines, hidden amongst leaves.  They will also weave colored yarns, lace, ribbon, plastic strips and dog hair into their nest, so we toss out yarn and ribbon in our brightest colors, hoping we'll be able to locate their nests.
Bird came out kind of wonky, tho...I'm learning.....
As always, this didn't photograph well, and every shot I took came out a little fuzzy.


I also watch for the Crimson Clover that lines the roadways and covers fields.  I never saw any of this back home in Maryland.

Now, I have to find a picture of the Weird Willie Bird--another bird I can only listen for as it is Nocturnal.

No comments:

Post a Comment